Frequently Asked Questions

How old do I need to be to drive one of your Cars?

You need to be aged between 23 and 69 and held a full licence for at least 2 years to drive our vans.We can rent certain cars to drivers of over 21 subject to meeting our insurance criteria

However for people carriers, minibuses, drivers must be between 25 and 69 and have driven for at least 5 years.

Do I have to have a special licence to drive a minibuse?

Yes, your licence must show category C1 (vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes) or D1 (vehicles with between 9-16 passengers)

Can I still rent if I have points on my licence?

In most cases this is not a problem, but please contact us to clarify your particular endorsements.

How do I pay for the vehicle?

We take payment from most major Credit or Debit cards.

What do your prices include?

Our prices include fully comprehensive insurance, breakdown cover for the UK and VAT

Can I put more than 1 driver on the insurance?

As long as they meet our insurance criteria, it is not a problem.

Is it possible to take the vehicle abroad?

We allow all of our vehicles to travel overseas. However, we need to know where you will be going and how long for, so that we can arrange additional breakdown cover and insurance. Any vehicle travelling abroad will have the mileage capped to 100 miles per day.

What happens if I have a breakdown?

All our vehicles have 24hour-breakdown and recovery service. Details of the telephone number are on the top right hand corner of your Rental agreement and on a label on the windscreen of the car

What happens if I have an accident?

We just need you to make sure everybody is OK and call an ambulance if required, take details of who was involved and what happened, and then call the breakdown service if you need recovering. An accident report form will have to be completed for the insurance company.

How much will it cost me if I have an accident?

Within our hire fee we include comprehensive insurance and the reduction of the excess i.e. your liability, down to the following levels; small/medium cars £500, other cars £750, people carriers and minibuses £1000. If the repair costs to our vehicle are less than the excess we will charge the lower figure.

What do I do about fuel?

All our vehicles are supplied with a full tank on collection and we need them returned full. Should a vehicle not be returned full of fuel we charge fuel at cost and a £12.00 refuel charge

Can I have the vehicle from one of your branches and return it elsewhere in the country?

We can offer this service but at a significant cost over the regular rental price, please call our office for further information

 Can i take my dog in your car?

 For hygiene reasons we do not allow the transportation of dogs in our cars





> Cars

> Insurance

Cambridge Self Drive
> Find Us
> Contact Us
> Terms
> Site Map

Part of Practical Car and Van Rental